I’m currently binge-watching The Eric Andre Show. As I was finishing the second season, it was episode 9 that I was reminded of something: I still have a thing Mel B (a.k.a Scary Spice). And that brings us to today’s Song of the Week: Mel B’s “I Want You Back” featuring Missy “Misdemeanor” Elliott.
This was around the time when Mel B was trying to see if she could make it as an R&B star, away from the Spice Girls of course. Did it work? Nah. But damn if she didn’t try. She got production and a feature from a blazing hot at the time Missy Elliott and expensive Hype Williams directed music video.
I always forget that this song was originally for the Why Do Fools Fall in Love soundtrack. Wasn’t there a version of the music video with scenes inserted in from the movie? Maybe not because I don’t think Hype Williams would play that shit (Remember when Ma$e’s “Feel So Good” was on the Money Talks soundtrack so they put Chris Tucker in the music video but he is barely in there because all his parts were cut out?).
With all that said, “I Want You Back” is still a good song. And when searching it up on Spotify, it’s still Mel B’s most popular song not with the Spice Girls (Granted, she only released two solo albums but still). The beat is still dope and I always sing along with the intro (“How can you BEEP BEEP wit no keys?”).
A few more random thoughts:
- I could have sworn Scary Spice was on the cover of King Magazine at least one time. Either my memory is fucked up or Google is not my friend (Plus, I threw out my King Magazine collection years ago).
- Why Do Fools Fall in Love had Halle Berry, Lela Rochon, Vivica A. Fox, and Clifton Powell (THE GOD) and I always forget that the movie ever existed.
- Speaking of the movie, I bought the “I Want You Back” single plus the Why Do Fools Fall in Love soundtrack back in the day, which was executive produced by Missy Elliott. This was at a time when a good Hip-Hop movie soundtrack was still a thing, but it kinda underwhelmed.
- While I still do have a crush on Melanie Brown, I may prefer the older version. Eddie Murphy was tripping.
- This whole article started by me watching Hannibal Burress feed Melanie B pretzels on The Eric Andre Show.