This Song of the Week is Witchdoctor‘s “Holiday” from the 1998 album A S.W.A.T. Healin’ Ritual. I have a few thoughts about this song and Witchdoctor, so let’s get into them (In list form):
- Could a high-quality version of the music video for “Holiday” be considered lost media?
- “Holiday” is one of the few songs that I prefer the clean version to the explicit version (“This is for the radio”).
- “Holiday” came out in 1998, so this was before downloading all your favorite songs off the internet was a thing. While playing the radio played it a lot, I still had difficulty finding this song as a single. I ended up buying the whole album, A S.W.A.T. Healin’ Ritual, when it came out, and looking back; it probably wasn’t worth it seeing that back then, I know I couldn’t afford it.
- More about A S.W.A.T. Healin’ Ritual: Does anybody remember Witchdoctor’s “Dez Only 1” featuring Outkast?
- Witchdoctor was a part of the famous and highly talented Dungeon Family (1st Generation).
- Now that I think about it, it’s a reason The Dungeon Family doesn’t get mentioned talking about the best Hip-Hop collectives. Besides Outkast and Goodie Mob (I guess you can throw in Killer Mike and Organized Noize), there were a lot of members who had careers that didn’t take off.
- Society of Soul, Witchdoctor, Joi, Cool Breeze, Backbone, Lil Will, Slimm Calhoun… do we also count the Purple Ribbon All-Stars? If so, then add them to the list. Shout out to Bubba Sparxxx, though.
- I will say that all the people I mentioned did have at least one hit (Cool Breeze had “Watch for the Hook,” Society of Soul had “E.M.B.R.A.C.E. (Da Da Dah Dah),” Backbone had “5, Deuce, 4, Tre,” etc.).
- Back to Witchdoctor: Is his name Witchdoctor or Witch Doctor or EJ da Witch Doctor?
- The intro and the outro on this song are highly underrated. “Get to dat money”
- Organized Noize killed this beat, and some people would even say that it’s the whole reason to listen to this song.
- I forgot that this song was on the Bullworth soundtrack. I also forgot the movie Bullworth existed. Shout out to Halle Berry. And I guess Pras from the Fugees.
- I couldn’t find a good-quality picture of Witchdoctor, so I just edited out the words from the A S.W.A.T. Healin’ Ritual album cover.
That’s enough of me rambling. Check out the Song of the Week below. Get to dat money.