Well, it happened: The Gucci Mane Verzuz Jeezy battle actually went down live on Instagram. And while nobody got shot, we did get a lot of drama and (maybe) the best Verzuz battle so far.
If we all thought everything was gonna be diplomatic, Gucci didn’t get the memo as his first two songs were “Round 1” and “Benchwarmers”; both diss songs towards Young Jeezy. And it went on from there. Both rappers performed their 2000’s era classic songs, which Gucci Mane telling Jeezy to play some newer material (Does that mean the Snowman was getting the better of him?). This all came to a head when Gucci played the full version of “Truth” which lead to some arguing between the two Atlanta rappers which ended with Jeezy calling for peace in the memory of King Von, Doe B, Nipsey Hussle, and other murdered rappers (Apparently one of the requirements for Gucci to do the battle was to be able to play the song). The night ended on a positive note when both rappers performing “So Icy” together (maybe for the first time ever) and Gucci Mane and Young Jeezy officially squashed the long standing beef.
So was the real winner Atlanta? A few more thoughts.
Here are a few thoughts:
- The battle took place at Magic City, but unfortunately no strippers showed up (Unless they showed up during one of the many times the feed cut out)
- Stacey Abrams introduced the battle (via video screen, she didn’t show up at Magic City)
- Gucci Mane asked Stacey Abrams could she wipe the felonies off his record
- It was cool that Jeezy went a more positive route, but he should have came back with “Stay Strapped” when Gucci did “Truth”
- Gucci Mane NEVER sat down during the entire battle
- Travis Scott already has merch available to commemorate the occasion
- If I had to pick a winner, it would probably be Jeezy. Gucci came out swinging but Jeezy was more consistent. It was close.
- Both rappers got projects coming out on Friday