It feels like nobody really talks about 8Ball & MJG as far as their place in Hip-Hop duos. They at least have to be the #3 best Hip-Hop southern duo after Outkast and UGK right? Either way, I’m choosing one of my favorite songs by the Memphis legends with “You Don’t Want Drama”. Here are some thoughts:
- This is off 8Ball & MJG’s Living Legends album which was put out when the duo was signed to Bad Boy South, where they put out two projects.
- 8Ball & MJG fans don’t really mess with the Bad Boy era but personally, I don’t mind it at all. It definitely wasn’t their best work but we did get gems like today’s Song of the Week.
- That being said, if you signed to Diddy, he is probably gonna ad-lib on the best track off your album.
- The hook on “You Don’t Want Drama” is still crazy: “Bust a nigga head, smack a ho, shoot the club up”. Straight tear da club up material.
- I actually remember a comedian using that hook for a joke on a comedy special. Chris Rock? Dave Chappelle? I can’t remember.
- MJG rapping “lucky your wife was bleedin’” is also still crazy.
- The clean/music video version of “You Don’t Want Drama” is almost unlistenable. Too many sound effects.
- Am I the only that remembers that 8Ball & MJG’s last album was on T.I.’s Grand Hustle?
Check out the Song of the Week below. Respect to Ball & G