Picking the music you play in the morning can be a big deal. The soundtrack you start with can mold your entire day. Want some help with that? We’re here to help you out in the form of The Good Morning Mix. 14 songs curated and Written About & Picked by the staff and contributors of nappyafro.com. Stream & download at the bottom of the post. – B-Easy
Sidenote: OG nappyafro readers will remember that we did a Good Morning Mixtape way back in the day. I guess this is a refresher and the spiritual successor.
1. Kanye West feat. Kid Cudi – “Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1” Album: The Life of Pablo | 2016 (Written About & Picked by Davillah) I mean nothing is better than “Father Stretch My Hands Pt.1” by Kanye on TLOP, before it gets into all that “Panda” shit, with one hit wonder Designer. It gives a perfect feel good vibe starting your day, just because its uplifting and also is catchy and positive.
2. HS87 – “Grindin’ My Whole Life” Album: We the Plug | 2014 (Written About & Picked by Blog$quiat) This joint is perfect for morning motivation, especially if you getting up just to go to work, and there’s a really cool beat change up near the end that’ll leave ya ears ringing. This joint’ll make you feel like you can do bicep curls with moon rocks.
3. Killer Mike – “So Glorious” Album: Pl3dge | 2011 (Written About & Picked by Short-T) “To son me, you’re going to have to get a Bun B because the Pimp C in me won’t let you punk me”. How can you not be prepared for any obstacle the world has in front of you after hearing that line delivered in the signature aggressive tone of Killer Mike?
4. Phonte – “The Good Fight” Album: Charity Starts at Home | 2011 (Written About & Picked by King Jerm) I mean what else explains what 90% of the workforce feels like. Imagine being stuck in a dead end job. Imagine waking up everyday knowing this is what you’re gonna do for the rest of your life. I can relate.
5. D.R.A.M. feat. Donnie Trumpet – “$” Album: Gahdamn! | 2015 (Written About & Picked by B-Easy) This song talks about the main reason most of us adults get up in the morning. “$” by D.R.A.M. starts out slow but picks up so it’s helps for a “gradual wake up” (Look it up). And who the hell doesn’t need trumpets in the morning?
6. Jill Scott feat. 4Hero – “Gotta Get Up” Album: Experience: Jill Scott 826+ | 2001 (Written About & Picked by Jasmine Ellison) Jill Scott understands the reluctance of getting up in the morning and starting the day. Being incapable of listening to anything loud,’trap-music-esque’, “Gotta Get Up” offers a soft, sweet melody that wraps around your mind and slowly stimulates it to be able to handle what’s outside your bedroom door.
7. Kanye West – “Champion” Album: Graduation | 2007 (Written About & Picked by $upremeW) Easily one of my favorite Kanye tracks. This joint ignites an infinite barrage of fire emojis into my soul and inspires me to show my worth to others or myself throughout the day. Completely uplifting. If you listen to this song and feel nothing, then you’re not human. Either that or you sold your soul for Hopsin tickets.
8. J. Cole – “I Get Up” Mixtape: The Warm Up | 2009 (Written About & Picked by King Jerm) This song is a perfect song to start your day. The production, well the horns, will wake you up! If that’s not enough, Lightskinned Jermaine comes through with that FLAME! The hook is my favorite though:
I get up I see the clouds from my window I pray the sun gon’ shine this way And where I go as the wind blow Momma ya son gon’ find his way And if I gotta crawl I’m a make to the end though Up to the top if climb my way And tell em’ I’m a rise I’m on my… Headed for the sky I’m on my way
Perfect wake up song IMO.
9. Joell Ortiz feat. Just Blaze – “Battle Cry” Album: Free Agent | 2011 (Written About & Picked by Short-T) After a quick introduction from Muhammad Ali about proving how great he is, Joell delivers a constant barrage of BARS. The rhymes on this song prove why he is one of the best lyricists, this is the anthem for the underdogs on their journey to legendary.
10. Little Brother – “Speed” Album: The Listening | 2003 (Written About & Picked by Nyck Niytro)
Another day to face, I’m share cropping in the paper chase Take a deep breath and clear my database It’s afternoon I’m talking shit to my alarm clock Cause I gotta face this world of capitalistic onslaught Don’t stop when I jump in the whip, tryin to get it off Beltline got me rushin like Barichnakof Pushin 80 miles per hour to this, call center Tryin to pick up a check I only see twenty percent a Until the weekend, it sound crazy when I’m sayin it But sleep is nice, got me forgettin what day it is
11. Rapsody feat. Bluu Suede – “Live It Up” Mixtape: For Everything | 2011 (Written About & Picked by Saule Wright) Dope song about staying focused and grinding on your passion and hoping that it will get you the future you want. Dope song to me.
12. Killer Mike – “Ric Flair” Album: Pl3dge | 2011 (Written About & Picked by GQ-Blu) Although it’s not the hypest song, I can’t think of anything more inspirational than Ric Flair talking about how great he is. How can you not me motivated by a man who has more cars than you have friends? As an added bonus to the Dirtiest Player in the Game you have Mike giving you the keys to success over a really lush beat. This is what you throw on before you throw your suit on.
13. Kanye West – “Good Morning” Album: Graduation | 2007 (Written About & Picked by Clobes) “Good Morning” is an amazing introduction to one of Kanye West’s masterpiece album, the classic wake up Mister West intros for all his 3 best albums fit so well with him like actually talking about waking up on the day of his graduation and just being the greatest, and being swaggy as hell. This shit was my alarm in high school for like 2 years. Nothing beats “Good morning”.
14. Outkast – “B.O.B” Album: Stankonia | 2000 (Written About & Picked by GQ-Blu) I gotta admit I really didn’t appreciate this song until I became a Sigma and realized its one of the best songs ever to stroll to. But other than that it’s super infectious and the rhythm pulsates your body up out the bed. This song is literally like a cup of coffee. I don’t know how you hit the snooze button on this.